Friday, August 22, 2008

Impossible to see, the future is.

At Pancho's Mexican Buffet tonight I grabbed one of those free newspaper type whammies.

Out of curiosity, I read my horoscope for this week:
"Cooperation and teamwork among family members and friends, are excellent now, and a successful collective accomplishment is also likely. Lucky numbers: 20, 21, 25, 29, 40, 43" (sic)

It got me thinking about how silly astrology is, not to mention the deviltry aspect of it.

The Bible prohibits such tomfoolery being used for guidance in life's decisions (e.g., Is 47:13-14), but, even from a scientific perspective it has problems.

First, it treats the sun & moon as planets and yet doesn't take into account the planets that were unseen back in the day.

Second, the whole thing is geared around your birth date and time. But why? What difference does it make if you leave the womb on Thursday versus Friday? Why not instead gauge from conception, the moment life begins and the person's DNA, etc. begins to form?

Third, the whole thing is geo-centric as opposed to understanding that it is the sun which is orbited at the center of the solar system.

Some like to look to the stars to learn about their future and what they should do. There's nothing wrong with looking to the stars per se, just be sure to see the clearly intended message.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
-Psalm 19:1 (ESV)

(cf. John Piper's 1981 sermon "Jesus Versus the Occult.")

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 23 August, 2008 16:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astrology IS indeed silly - but, Pancho's is YUCK-O, dude!

Although, my hubby and son love to go to Pancho's (without me)!

 
At 23 August, 2008 18:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gunny went to Panchos? I'm shocked.

 
At 23 August, 2008 19:11, Blogger GUNNY said...

Anon, I'm picking up on your sarcasm. I think we actually have our own personalized table there. Perhaps we have a problem since they know my kids by name and they know how I special order my tacos without even asking. The first guy has given up asking me if I want any rice or beans after having waved him off regarding such filler for years.

T.O. loves him some him. I loves me some Pancho's!

Kelly, your husband obviously has good taste in ladies and that has clearly carried over into his taste for fine dining.

 
At 23 August, 2008 19:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pancho's in Plano is the best. Where else would you take your kids on their birthdays?

 
At 23 August, 2008 21:14, Blogger Lance said...

I don't like Pancho's.

They don't have fortune cookies.

 
At 24 August, 2008 17:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astrology was so popular in the 1970's, but so was illegal drugs. Hasn't it lost its popularity 30 years later?

Many babies are born by C-section today, and their birth time is scheduled. How do astrology people stand on that if personality and characteristics are determined according to the exact time of birth?

 
At 25 August, 2008 07:48, Blogger Lance said...

Is it true that when C-section babies leave a building, they exit through the window?

Steven Wright says so, but I've not snoped it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting