Luke's got more guts than brains.
Friday saw the passing of Paul Newman, dead at age 83.
My favorite Paul Newman movies:
3. The Hustler
2. Slap Shot
1. Cool Hand Luke
In his honor I plan to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, for the first time.
For your amusement/edification, I share some great Cool Hand Luke quotes ...
- Takin' it off here, boss.
- Babalugats, we got a bet here.
- He's called, "Captain." You call the rest of us, "Boss," you hear?
- Cuttin' the heads off of parkin' meters, Captain. We never had one of them.
- In case you get rabbit in your blood and you decide to take off for home, you get some bonus time and leg chains to slow you down.
- Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box.
- Any man loud talkin' spends a night in the box. (etc.)
- You don't have a name until Dragline gives you one.
- He back-sassed a free man. They got their rules.
- Anything so innocent ... and built like that just got to be named, "Lucille."
- Oh, boy, she knows EXACTLY what she's doin'.
- Yeah, well ... sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
- I can eat 50 eggs.
- Luke, what did you say 50 for? Why couldn't you say 35 or 39? It seemed a nice round number.
- What we've got here is failure to communicate.
- Some men you just can't reach.
- I'm shakin' it, boss.
- A quick look, but no memorizin' job.
- You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice, you got yourself two sets. You ain't goin' to need no third set, 'cause you're goin' to get your mind right.
- Wish you'd stop bein' so good to me, Captain.
- Callin' it your job, don't make it right.
- Stop feedin' off me!
- Luke's got more guts than brains.
- What's your dirt doin' in his ditch?
- I never planned anything in my life.
- He's a natural born world-shaker.