Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Your mom goes to college.

Although it's gaining some in popularity, for several decades the Hausfrau (i.e., housewife) has not been regarded as a noble or respected pursuit in this country.

Ladies were pitied for having to "give up" their lives, dreams, or careers to be "stay at home moms." Such women may have felt some shamed or scorn from other ladies who "didn't squander" their talents or abilities.

Over the years this phenomenon has led to many different, and often creative, ways to describe how they can answer the common question, "What do you do?"

I'm sure you've heard many responses (e.g., homemaker, domestic engineer, VP of Domestic Affairs, etc.), but I found one particularly charming.

When asked what his housewife does, Pastor Tommy Nelson of Denton Bible Church would say, "She creates, raises, and shapes eternal humanity in the image of God."

That's pretty good. Any interesting descriptions/explanations you've heard?
P.S. Think about the disparity of how important it is to care for children versus the lack of esteem received by those who do so.

That's not only the case in society at large (e.g., teachers, since "those who can't do, teach"), but also in the church. Far too often I've heard seminary students say, "I don't want to
just teach children.

The irony, of course, is that one can often make a much greater impact on the life of a child than the life of an adult, even in the church.

8 Comments:

At 03 June, 2008 10:09, Blogger Lance said...

If anyone says, "I don't want to just teach children," that might just reveal how unlike Christ they are.

"Let the little children come to me."

I like to encourage anyone who has the gift of teaching to validate their gift by seeing how they connect truth to the minds of four year olds.

If they can't, chances may be good that they aren't gifted to teach; just to unload information.

That's my HSO for the day.

 
At 03 June, 2008 10:19, Blogger GUNNY said...

My "Amen" cannot be hearty enough, brother.

The attitude of "Teaching children is beneath me" is repugnant and quite Pharisaical.

Of course, teaching children separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

Churches tend to think that should be left to the lesser beings, who need not have any biblical or theological training.

We don't need to start really teaching anything of substance until they're adults, is the mindset.

Then we wonder why adults in the church are so ignorant, it's because far too long the children have been neglected, malnutritioned. They become youth who have been conditioned to only be entertained, so youth programs keep it light, instead of keepin' it real.

Youth programs grow by meeting felt needs and boosting self-esteem. If they can minimize drug use and instances of pregnancy, well, that's just gravy.

Great HSO, brother. It kind of got me going as well.

 
At 03 June, 2008 11:43, Blogger Oilcan said...

Napoleon Dynamite

Teaching children is a huge challenge - they have not yet developed enough self-discipline to politely submit to poor content and boring presentation. :)

 
At 03 June, 2008 13:02, Blogger Lance said...

It's early, but I nominate Oilcan for quote of the week (and maybe the month).

 
At 03 June, 2008 16:08, Blogger GUNNY said...

It is early, but a nomination from a former winner goes a long way.

 
At 03 June, 2008 17:17, Blogger John said...

I thank God for my stay-at-home wife. Who could do a better job of raising our children? And what more important job is there?

By the way, how did you get the clip art into your post? I haven't been able to do that.

 
At 04 June, 2008 06:22, Blogger not used anymore. said...

MY worst fear was to become a housewife. What an embaressment. When I had children I wanted to work to get away from the burden of having to stay home while the rest of the world lived. My heart is different now and my thoughts have changed. Now I see clearly that my children are my calling and my ministry and what God has been preparing me for. Unfortunately, now I don't have the opportunity to stay home and devote more time to the opportunity of shaping my children and their hearts. There is no greater job than being a mother, I wouldn't trade it for money.

 
At 04 June, 2008 14:47, Blogger Oilcan said...

Lance, thanks for the love.

I like the label "home worker" as inspired by Titus 2:3-5 (ESV)

3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting