Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Well, I'm in the amazing business.

There's not much that surprises me the longer I live and I assume that's true of most people.

Some people you would never expect to be surprised or amazed, like Jesus. After all, what would really get His attention?

Yet, in the Scriptures we read of Jesus being amazed.

Jesus was renowned for amazing others, but we see the Son of God amazed (θαυμάζω - "marveled", ESV) twice (and only twice). Both times are in relation to faith.

Jesus marveled at the faith of the "heathen" centarion (Matt 8:5-13; Luke 7:1-10).
When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, "Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith."
-Matthew 8:10, ESV

Jesus also marveled at the lack of faith He encountered in His hometown of Nazarath (Mark 6:1-6).
And he marveled because of their unbelief.
-Mark 6:6, ESV

I read such and find myself echoing the words of the father of the boy with an unclean spirit:
"I believe; help my unbelief!"
-Mark 9:24, ESV

If Jesus inspected each local church, would He be amazed, and if so, would it be from lack of faith?

Jesus asks, "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" (Luke 18:8, ESV)

  • Suggested Reading: The Purifying Power of Faith in Future Grace, by John Piper

5 Comments:

At 10 June, 2008 15:13, Blogger mi familia said...

Are you amazed that the Lakers are down by 2 games? ;)

 
At 10 June, 2008 15:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

Word.

I'm even more amazed with how easily they've been handled by the Celtics.

I know nobody likes a whiner, but the officiating in this series has been about the worst I've seen, similar to that which I recall in the Miami Heat win over Dallas in 2006.

I just want to see consistency in the officiating calling a foul for both teams the whole game the whole series regardless of the fame of the player or the venue of the game.

I know that will never happen in the NBA, but I would love to be pleasantly amazed!

 
At 10 June, 2008 21:10, Blogger Matt said...

The Heat/Mavs series in 2006 is an example of how terrible officiating can derail an entire franchise. The Mavs haven't been the same since!

 
At 10 June, 2008 21:17, Blogger GUNNY said...

So true. The Mavs had been inching their way higher and higher up in the ranks and then were up 2-0 and up by double digits with 6 minutes left in Game 3.

Then the crazy officiating took over and the seemingly unstoppable Mavericks haven't won a playoff series yet and are projected by at least some to not even make the playoffs next year. AND it cost Avery his job.

Imagine the difference for that franchise had they won Game 3 (and clearly the series after that).

The Heat are already defunct, but I'm thinking the Mavs would still be MAJOR players in the West.

 
At 11 June, 2008 13:17, Blogger mi familia said...

What is amazing is the fact that WE are amazed at the officiating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting