Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lance, Benji, Casey, Chad, Cody, Garold, Ross and Gunny Go to White Castle.

Like 2006 & 2007, I was in Minneapolis this week for the 2008 Desiring God pastors conference.

They're blogging (about) the conference if you want to check it out.

D. A. Carson was great, but, for me, Crawford Loritts (2nd from left) stole the show.

Crawford Loritts had 4 lessons about courage in The Call to Courage from Joshua 1:1-9, with the commissioning of Joshua after Moses' death. I heartily recommend his talk as well as the Q&A session with all the speakers (Carson, Loritts, Piper, and Livingstone).

I also recommend that pastors prayerfully consider going next year (to the conference and to White Castle).

As another has done, I'll share the Top 10 things I look forward to regarding this conference each year.
  1. Being a part of the paparazzi who pounces on "The Pipe" et al for a photo op
  2. Seeing seminary buddies again (e.g., Mike Ernst and Shane Freeman)
  3. Great times of worship with my brothers from various and sundry places
  4. Catching up with the conference regulars (e.g., Larry Newcomer, Benji Magness, Ross Strader, and Casey Jones)
  5. Making some new friends (e.g., Jay Collier, Garold Timmons, and Chad Barnes)
  6. Getting to White Castle - This has included walking (2006), a cab (2007), and the bus (2007 & 2008). This year's bus ride was interesting as we were packed in like sardines during rush hour and Texan Casey Jones tried his best to have a friendly conversation with a woman who clearly just wanted to get home. Finally, she informed him, "You need to get used to the way we do things in Minnesota; we keep to ourselves on the bus." I also love that when we tell folks we're trying to get to White Castle, the locals invariably ask, "Why do you wanna go there?"
  7. Getting better acquainted with men I have primarily known online (e.g., Tom Ascol (pictured) and Abraham Piper).
  8. Getting to visit with my local peeps (e.g., Brent Thomas, Tim Presson, Chris Blake, Cody Dixon (of Providence Church), and Lance Ward, my wingman and ol' lady at the conference)
  9. Making my joy complete by sharing in culinary excellence with the brethren at White Castle - How's that for an agape feast?!
  10. Having my heart stirred toward greater affection and commitment for the Lord Jesus - Priceless!

If you went, I'm curious as to what you most appreciate(d) about this conference.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 06 February, 2008 08:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was there so I could have met you guys.

I listened to some of Crawford Lorritts yesterday and he was great.

 
At 06 February, 2008 11:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you guys all at the conference together?

 
At 06 February, 2008 20:16, Blogger GUNNY said...

Did Crawford Loritts knock that thing outta the park or what?!

It was great chatting with him afterward.

Incidentally, he was *this* close to going to White Castle with us, but got stuck having dinner at the home of some dude called "The Pipe."

But, Crawford is from New Jersey and was definitely a fan of the White Castle.


Mark,

You gotta come next year. It's a lot of fun seeing some old friends and making new ones.

 
At 06 February, 2008 21:10, Blogger Jade said...

For some reason, I thought this conference was like later in March. It seems like a bad idea to have a conference in the dead of winter in places like Minneapolis where it is common to have subzero temperatures! Only the brave would be willing to go! They should consider moving it to places like Florida or Southern CA if they want it at this time of year.

 
At 06 February, 2008 23:24, Blogger not used anymore. said...

You had me at:

"10. Having my heart stirred toward greater affection and commitment for the Lord Jesus - Priceless!"

Amen, brother!

My Women of Faith conference starts tomorrow. I am looking very much for such an experience.

Good bull for all.

 
At 06 February, 2008 23:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

Jade, what you don't understand is that they don't have White Castle in the places you mentioned.

Go get 'em, Jesus Girl. I'll have you know, I threw down a double with cheese in your honor last night.

 
At 07 February, 2008 06:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think Casey's over-friendliness on the bus was def. a highlight.

Agreed that Lorritts stole the show. Can't wait to listen to that one again.

I must admit I get a bit teary-eyed when thought of as you "ol' lady."

More pix on the way from Casey soon.

 
At 07 February, 2008 08:14, Blogger Casey Jones said...

Hey Eric, I sure did have a blast with you guys. I am humbled by the Lord that as goofy as I can be sometimes, people accept me for who I am. I will email the pics to Lance so he can get them too you.

 
At 07 February, 2008 11:31, Blogger Jade said...

Gunny wrote:
Jade, what you don't understand is that they don't have White Castle in the places you mentioned.

Well wouldn't it make sense then to hold the conference in the summer months?! Minnesota in the winter --- Buuurrrr! Even for White Castle! :ob

I suppose you'd even go to Alaska if Alaska was the only state that had White Castle, huh? :ob

 
At 07 February, 2008 12:51, Blogger Cody said...

The bus trip was greatness I wish we had a video of that...

 
At 07 February, 2008 14:30, Blogger GUNNY said...

The bus ride home was a huge disappointment by comparison.

;-)

Casey, thanks for keeping the mood light and enjoyable and be sure to check out our Lone Star Founders Fraternal. Lance is the Sharer of the Slooge this month.

Cody, you come get some as well, brother.

Jade, did I hear you right?! There's a White Castle in Alaska?!

ROAD TRIP!

Chris, you gotta come next year. We're hoping to fill up the whole bus next year.

 
At 07 February, 2008 15:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! I forgot.

My next favorite moment was discussing the ecclesiology of Kenny Rogers as we rode the light rail to the airport.

What an appropriate finish to a profound couple of days, for now I know "the best thing I can hope for."

 
At 07 February, 2008 15:17, Blogger Jade said...

Well, thankfully I don't need to go to the ends of the earth to get my White Castle. It's only five minutes from here and it's open 24/7! :ob

 
At 07 February, 2008 23:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget The Pipe...I made Gunny's blog!!! Great to see you this week. Indeed, indeed. Maybe we should contact Dr. Lorritts for the Reformation Churches Conference? http://www.reformationchurches.org/
(Can you fix this link for me? Still learning)

Chris

 
At 08 February, 2008 00:15, Blogger GUNNY said...

Chris,

You're money and you don't even know it!

Getting Crawford Loritts for the Fellowship of Reformed Churches conference would be AWESOME.

I'm friends with one of his staff peeps and will try to test the waters.

I know the greatest drawback, however, is going to be that we don't have a White Castle in our area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting