Monday, January 27, 2014

There's a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up.

Chaplain Galyon posted his All-Time Favorite Military Movies.

He's a better man than I in various and sundry ways.  His discipline to limit his list to 10 is just another example of that reality.

My Top 20 Favorite Military* Movies:
  • Forrest Gump ... "We was always taking long walks and we was always looking for a guy named Charlie."
  • Stripes ... "Lighten up, Francis."
  • Taps ... "They want us to be good little boys now so we can fight some war for them in the future. Some war they'll decide on. We'd rather fight our own war right now."
  • Dances with Wolves ... "My place is with you. I go where you go."
  • Top Gun ... "Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full."
  • Heartbreak Ridge ... "This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it.
  • The Final Countdown ... "I'm talking about the classic paradox of time."
  • Rambo ... "I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it!"
  • An Officer and a Gentleman ... "I want your D.O.R!"
  • Taking Chance ... "You are his witness now. Without a witness, they just disappear."
  • Platoon ... "New meat! You dudes gonna love the Nam."
  • We Were Soldiers ... "We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it."
  • Braveheart ... "Every man dies, not every man really lives."
  • Saving Private Ryan ... "Well, from my way of thinking, sir, this entire mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources."
  • Apocalypse Now ... "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
  • Patton ... "All real Americans love the sting of battle."
  • Full Metal Jacket ... "A jelly donut?!"
  • A Few Good Men ... "You can't handle the truth!"
  • Outlaw Josey Wales ... "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."
  • Sergeant York ... "Folks back home used to say I could shoot a rifle before I was weaned, but they was exaggeratin' some."

*Previously, I'd offered a list of 10 Favorite WAR Movies.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 28 January, 2014 20:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list, Gunny!

 
At 05 March, 2014 14:33, Blogger samurai said...

Hey Gunny - I know i fell off the blogging sphere for a while... but, i am glad to see you are still at it.

~ samurai

 
At 10 March, 2014 16:22, Blogger GUNNY said...

To be fair, I've been more off than on with regard to the blogosphere myself.

Great to reconnect, brother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting