Wednesday, July 01, 2009

All right, remember - alcohol equals puke, equals smelly mess, equals nobody likes you!

I had a discussion once with a Baptist brother who was convinced the consumption of an alcoholic beverage in any amount was sinful, the context of which was the use of wine and grape juice in the Lord's Supper.

I was trying to show from the Scriptures that drunkeness was prohibited and that historically God's people, including the Lord Jesus, have had liberty with regard to moderate alcoholic consumption.

Yet, he was adamant that alcohol was sinful in and of itself.

At one point I made mention of the fact that there is alcohol in some cough medicines and even vinegar (i.e., soured wine). I was curious if it was sinful to consume those, but he said it was not.

When pressed on what I felt was an inconsistency, he explained that there was no way anyone was ever going to get drunk on cough medicine or vinegar.

As you might imagine, the conversation ended abruptly as I pointed out that even he really didn't regard the sin as being consumption of alcohol, but drunkeness. He did not, however, agree with me.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 01 July, 2009 12:46, Blogger Andrew N. said...

hahahaha. Classic.

I'll have to remember that one! :-)

 
At 01 July, 2009 14:53, Blogger Timothy said...

Yes, I've had those fruitless conversations with Baptist as well...

Now, it's so much easier, just saying that I'm Presbyterian... and those types think I'm destined for hell already, that they don't bother. :)

 
At 01 July, 2009 15:48, Blogger Chris Price said...

i think green day (who is known for getting drunk on cough syrup in the past) wrote a song about goofing on tussin - robotussin that is. they say that it is one size fits all or one bottle fits all.

then again houston, tx is known as the city of syrup for thier extracurricular non-medical use of cough syrup. that is how we got chop'd and screw'd music.

additionally this guy must not know any real alcholics because when they are down and out they will drink whatever they can get thier hands on.

here's to him. cheers.

 
At 01 July, 2009 18:55, Blogger Lance said...

I think Nacho Libre was sober when he tried on his stretchy pants . . . but I could be mistaken.

 
At 01 July, 2009 19:46, Blogger Mark said...

That's not fair, Timothy! I'm a Conservative Southern Baptist, and I don't believe you are going to Hell. In fact, I think you have a better chance of making it to Heaven than I do.

I also don't believe alcohol is sinful. I don't drink (anymore), but that was a choice I made after weighing all the pro's and cons and reaching what I consider to be a logical decision.

 
At 01 July, 2009 22:55, Blogger Unknown said...

The truth is that it is a very hard conversation to have with a no alcohol guy/ 1. they usually don't think all the way through their position.
2. The Bible says not to offend our brothers with matter of food or drink. It's hard to decide whether you can actually debate the individual or if you will offend them.

 
At 02 July, 2009 00:11, Blogger Young Wife said...

Well as a good Southern Baptist, I have to tell you, I don't think drinking is a sin, but cards and dancing, now that's downright demonic! ;)

 
At 02 July, 2009 07:54, Blogger samurai said...

Southern Baptist or not ~ i have found it that there are people who hold onto their "sacred cows" (Christian or "other") and there is nothing you can do to dent that statue.

 
At 09 July, 2009 16:22, Blogger David Quesenbury said...

“Do you suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused? Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?”
- Martin Luther

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting