Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fat guy in a little coat ...

I'm riding along in my automobile, nobody beside me; I'm at the wheel.

As a car went by me I noticed the cross hanging from the rear view mirror. It was a crystal or glass one that captured the light nicely.

But I also noted that about 8-10 inches away, prominently displayed on the dashboard was ... a radar detector.

I actually laughed out loud at the juxtaposition of those 2 objects, and what they symbolized.

The 1st is the emblem of suffering and shame identifying the Lord Jesus and His followers. It represents selflessness and subjection to the will of God.

The 2nd represents a person who wants to break the law, but avoid the potential penalties therein.

Christians bear the obligation to obey the laws of the land, as is seen in Romans 13:1.
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. (ESV)
Rebellion against "the man" is really rebellion against God, with the caveat, of course, that we disobey any rules or laws that would necessitate our breaking the laws or rules of God Himself.

I understand that folks falter at times, but the radar detector seems to me a pretty good indication that there is no intention of obeying the law to the glory of God.

There are certain things that just don't go together, they just don't fit.

A fat guy in a little coat, for example, and a Christian sporting a radar detector.

10 Comments:

At 15 November, 2007 06:32, Blogger not used anymore. said...

Tommy Boy

 
At 15 November, 2007 06:34, Blogger not used anymore. said...

I don't have a radar detector, but that one hurt me. Thanks for the reminder of what I have been called to do. And Who I represent.

GWT

 
At 15 November, 2007 08:04, Blogger Lionel Woods said...

Pastor Gunny, I have the same problem with bootleg DVD's and CD's. Many professing Christians (even solid ones) have collections of illegal movies. What is your thought on that? Most people label me a pharisee when I come with this.

 
At 15 November, 2007 08:59, Blogger Oilcan said...

Tommy Boy

So true, and I am the one to know considering all the little coats I have in my closet.

 
At 15 November, 2007 09:57, Blogger GUNNY said...

Lionel ...

I think you're right.

These are seen as "victimless" crimes, so to speak, but that doesn't excuse the reality that we're trying to cheat for personal convenience or monetary gain.

You're not a Pharisee because it is actually already illegal, right?

To use the speed limit as an example, the Pharisee would say that it's a sin to go over 50, when the posted speed limit is 55.

His or her argument might be something like, we'll the best way to ensure you don't break 55 is to never go beyond 50, so we create an artificial law to protect the other.

 
At 15 November, 2007 10:30, Blogger Lance said...

As I once heard, "The last thing God saves is the Christian's right foot."

 
At 15 November, 2007 13:51, Blogger samurai said...

An interesting, and valid point. We are to obey those in authority - even when we may not like it (so long as it does not cause us to worship a false god/idol).

I was once talking to a man who was going on and on about how he did not agree with our then President (I will not mention which one here) and I quietly listened to him. Near the end of the conversation he asked me what I thought. I told him, "God appoints, or allows, all leaders at all times". He nodded his head and that was the end of it.

Words to meditate on... thanks Gunny.

 
At 15 November, 2007 18:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, well I would like to know how many of you "non-speeders" tailgait? Or how many of you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign? How many of you don't actually stop behind the the stop sign?? How many of you change lanes without signaling (even when nobody is around)? Friends, all these things and much more are just as much "against the law" as speeding. They just carry different fines. And some the police choose to enforce more than others. So, make sure you have the log taken out of your own eye before you pick on the "speeders".

:O)

-- NCguy

 
At 15 November, 2007 18:30, Blogger GUNNY said...

Lightning McQueen (i.e., NCGuy) raises some good points in those rhetorical questions.

Some I found convicting, so much so that I'm questioning the wisdom in allowing him to comment!

Okay, confession time ... I sometimes come to less than a "complete" stop, particularly while riding my Harley.

But ... if I'm going to keep up with NCGuy I gotta cut corners somewhere!

Of course, I assume he wasn't merely trying to deflect guilt by saying, "What about you?" ;-)

Or is NCGuy just saying, "Let him without traffic sin write the first ticket"?

I think NCGuy's conviction about his right foot (which is burdened and heavy laden and needing the Lord's rest) might have blinded him to the brazen nature of posting an ornament on the windshield that not only sends the message "I intend to break the law," but also helps one to do so.

Nonetheless, I'll take the rebuke and ... TRY ... not to roll through the STOP signs when on two wheels. BUT it's soooo hard, brother!

 
At 17 November, 2007 20:55, Blogger Rev. said...

Nice post, Gun. Now you know why I don't have a 'Jesus Fish' on my car. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting