Thursday, November 08, 2007

I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

Tonight I got to watch my first hockey game of the season ... and what a game it was.

The Stars beat the San Jose Sharks 3-1, but the Star of the evening was Mike Modano.

Not only did he score two goals, including the game winner, but in doing so he tied and subsequently passed the record for most points scored by a U.S. born player.
"Modano, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1988 Entry Draft, has played his entire career with the Stars franchise, beginning with the Minnesota North Stars in 1989. The native of Livonia, Mich., has 511 goals and 722 assists in 1,253 games."

In case you didn't hear him counting, that's 1233 points (combination of assists and goals).

Modano's record breaker was the sweetest play in hockey, a short-handed goal. The 37 year old still has some speed after all these years.

The win also moved the Stars ahead of the Sharks in the standings for 1st place in the division.

Congratulations to he who wears #9 on his back, but is #1 in the record books.

7 Comments:

At 08 November, 2007 10:10, Blogger Michelle Kearney said...

Anchorman. I am on a roll.

 
At 08 November, 2007 13:10, Blogger GUNNY said...

Like Modano ... She shoots, she scores!

Talk about some serious bragging rights!

I'll bet your classroom smells of rich mahogany.

;-)

 
At 08 November, 2007 17:26, Blogger Rev. said...

"...he tied and subsequently passed the record for most points scored by a U.S. born player."

So, on the all-time/all-world list, he's at number....187?!? ;)

 
At 08 November, 2007 22:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

Rev ... it's not THAT bad with regard to US hockey!

I'd have to go back and research, but I seem to recall that this makes him #37 all time, which is still pretty good.

He's no Gretzky, but not bad ... for an American.

;-)

 
At 09 November, 2007 22:42, Blogger Reepicheep said...

Modano is a stud. I think Pat LaFontaine is the most talented U.S. Player ever- his career cut short by concussions- and Phil Housley is up there, but no disputin'- Modano (of Italian ancestory, I might point out) deserves the honor he now has earned.

 
At 09 November, 2007 23:08, Blogger GUNNY said...

I did not know Modano was paizon. That's pretty sweet.

By the way, Tony, leave the gun; take the cannoli.

I like Modano, don't get me wrong, but he's not my favorite Star. Presently, my favorite is Morrow, who became such when Hatcher defected. Up that to point, Hatcher was my favorite.

And ... although Eddie "the Eagle" was had some "issues" off the ice, I loved having him between the pipes.

When it's 80 degress out, however, it's hard to get too stoked for a little stick & puck.

Honestly, my enthusiasm hasn't really been picking up until the 2nd season kicks in and the Stars have underwhelmed as of late in that regard.

 
At 09 November, 2007 23:09, Blogger GUNNY said...

P.S. Hatcher is also American born, but I don't think he's got any Italian in him. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting