Wednesday, December 20, 2006

It's like, how much more black could this be?

I thought this was funny. Just before I turned off the television kids program my little ones had been watching a commercial came on. Kids songs for kids sung by kids.

Nothing noteworthy, except the tagline.

This is apparently the eleventh in the series, so they kept saying, "This one goes to eleven!"

Many of us recognize the greatness of that allusion, but I'm relatively certain that the viewing audience has no clue.

Nothing new I guess, because as I watch cartoons now I realize just how much of the humor and character references are geared toward adults.

I first noticed this with the Flintstones, where the movie star was Rock Quarry (instead of Rock Hudson). The Jetsons were proficient at this as well. But the head of the class was WB's Looney Tunes, my favorite of which was The Scarlet Pumpernickel.

I realize now the layered meaning of cartoons, some of which I may still yet to catch. Funny was one thing when I was five, but another at thirty-five. I now pick up on the cultural references that were current to the adult audience.

For the kids, they're left in the dark. They look around in the blackness and ask, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

2 Comments:

At 21 December, 2006 07:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting how when you grow up music "changes" as well. Several years ago Sharon and I were flippin' the radio stations while driving. Stopped on a song from our high school days. Listening carefully to the words, I blurted out, "That is so dumb! So shallow! What were we thinkin' back then?!? I'm so glad we're not in high school anymore." Just two nights ago I came across a show on VH1 as I was channel surfing. They were discussing the matter of particular songs. It was disturbing, actually. I thought to myself, "Self, you were listening to that song and it was about ____. Oh man!"

Nothing as classic as the work being produced these days. Heard about one artist speaking about his work. He said, "It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why."

What?!? That was an interview from the early 80's?!? Oh man!

 
At 21 December, 2006 15:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was trying to convince my son that I knew all the lyrics to ZZ Top’s "Jesus Just Left Chicago" because it was a worship song. I was proud that his rebuttal was, "Dad, just because it says Jesus, doesn't make it good." Sound advice. In fact, we could apply that to most of TBN’s broadcasting :) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting