Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant: The Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible.

This year we celebrate the 400th anniversary of the King James Version of the Bible, authorized by King James for use in the Church of England.

Admittedly, there are times when a bias toward the KJV can be detrimental in translation. However, in honor of the 400th anniversary of what I affectionately call, "The King Jimmy," I offer you a few passages that I love and/or prefer in that version.

Isaiah 53:4-6
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Romans 12:1-2
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Matthew 6:9-13
9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11Give us this day our daily bread. 12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Exodus 20:3

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Matthew 7:13-14
13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

1 Corinthians 15:55
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 16 March, 2011 17:37, Blogger Oilcan said...

A Few Good Men

Private Santiago had no honor, and God was watching.

 
At 16 March, 2011 20:05, Blogger Rev. said...

The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer...and the Lord our God.

 
At 20 March, 2011 00:29, Blogger GUNNY said...

Two awesome quotes from that movie.

I also love some Col. Jessup:

"I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4,000 Cubans who are trained to kill me, so don't think for one second that you can come down here, flash your badge, and make me nervous."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting