Friday, May 20, 2011

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

What a country?! We'll let any weirdo post any kind of doggerel online it seems, present company included.

In pondering Dirk's recent respectability and the question of whether or not he's a "Top 10" player of all time, James Day loses all credibility in a Top 10 all time list that doesn't include Magic Johnson.

To be fair, there are some greats on his list:
  • Centers: Kareem, Shaq, Wilt and Russell
  • Forwards: Bird and Erving
  • Guards: West, Robertson, Jordan and Kobe.
Perhaps he felt it was already too Laker heavy with 5 of his 10, I don't know. But who would honestly prefer to have Kobe over Magic?

All time starting five is another discussion, but to me a top 10 list is like the draft, these are the first ones you pick.

My top 10 of all time:
  1. Magic Johnson
  2. Wilt Chamberlain
  3. Michael Jordan
  4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  5. Bill Russell
  6. Larry Bird
  7. Julius Erving
  8. Shaquille O’Neal
  9. Jerry West
  10. Oscar Robertson
Honorable Mentions: Hakeem Olajuwon, Elgin Baylor, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, and James Worthy.

Perhaps I'm too hard on those without championships or presently playing, but it's hard to be top top if your team wasn't the best ... EVER.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 25 May, 2011 16:58, Blogger Matt said...

It's good to see a Lakers fan admit that Shaq was better than Kobe.

 
At 26 May, 2011 12:10, Blogger Matt said...

I love Dirk and I love the Mavs, but I wonder how many people were calling him a top 20 player before this year's playoffs started. Do 15 games really do that much to cement someone's legacy?

The best argument that I have heard in support of Dirk is that he has never had a good supporting cast. He had Nash for a few seasons, but since then his best teammate has been Terry (he missed Kidd's prime). He's needed an inside big man who can play defense, and now he has that with Chandler.

The only other thing I think you could argue is that he was (is) like Shaq in that he changed the way the game was played. The NBA had never seen a guy as big as Shaq who was so quick and athletic. In the same way, it had never seen a 7-footer who could shoot like Dirk.

Barkley even said that today in the NBA there are only 2 guys who are "unguardable"--Dirk and Carmello Anthony. When Dirk gets the ball with his back to the basket about 7 or 8 feet away--he's going to score with that fadeaway. You can't stop it.

Also, he gets points for longevity. He's had 11 solid seasons and still has some left in the tank. Bird was only good for 9.

Anyway, love Dirk. Not so sure where he falls in the pantheon.

 
At 27 May, 2011 13:21, Blogger GUNNY said...

Amen to Shaq being better than Kobe.

I find it so odd with all the Kobe & Jordan comparisons, as though he's akin to the one many deem the best of all time.

I don't even think Kobe's the best Laker of all time, as I'd certainly put him behind Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Jerry West, AND Shaq.

I appreciate the success the Lakers have had post-Shaq, but I thought that was the wrong move.

 
At 27 May, 2011 13:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

I also loves me some Dirk, but I also think the competition today is not what it was in Larry Bird's day.

Sure, Larry had a great supporting cast, but that's what they were.

While there are Shirley hall of famers currently playing, I think it's even more impressive to have dominated during the NBA's glory days.

As an aside, that's one thing I think is relevant in the 90s when Jordan was so dominant. I don't think the league itself was as formidable.

Incidentally, I also agree with you that Dirk's having a nice playoff run, but there may be some overreaction to it. I think he's been often underrated, but perhaps we're seeing some knee-jerk response.

I've been watching these games, however, and I've seen spurts where he's turning the ball over and making poor choices with shot selection. He can often get away with that, because he is so good, but at other times those things hurt the team from getting a quality possession.

I doubt Rick Carlisle draws up in the time out a play whereby Dirk shoots a one-foot fade away 19 foot jumper.

I actually think he's the most dangerous when he mixes it up a bit, shooting his crazy jumpers, mixing in a 3, posting up for a turn around jumper in the paint, and driving to the hole for a layup or dunk.

When he's doing that, the defender would probably agree with Barkley that he's "unguardable."

 
At 28 May, 2011 10:37, Blogger Jeff Wright said...

Dr J over Magic is absurd. Is Dr J even the best Sixer? Over Moses Malone and Barkley. I guess we could say Barkley best days were with the Suns so we can take him out. I'd take Malone over Dr J.

Yes, Magic is better than Kobe.

I love me some James Worthy but you ranked him over Barkley? C'mon, man! And, even as a Lakers fan, I have to say if we're including Worthy we'd have to talk about Pippen too, in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting