Thursday, May 19, 2011

Don't give that man a statue. Give him heart.

Apparently, Laker legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (aka Lew Alcindor) is upset that he doesn't have a statue of himself outside the Staples Center.

To be fair, Kareem is the NBA's all-time leading scorer, a 6-time champ, and the reason I became a Lakers fan in 1979. I certainly think he's "statue-worthy" and a would also be my choice for statue #3, behind Jerry West & Magic Johnson, whom I've argued is the best of all time.

Kareem's tender he doesn't get the love Magic Johnson does?
"When you look at what (owner Jerry Buss) did for Earvin and what he did for me, big disparity there," Abdul-Jabbar said.
The Lakers have already said the next statue will be of Kareem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer now. I'd be in favor of adding an extra year just out of principle.

C'mon, man. You can't demand a statue of yourself. That's not the way honor should work.

I know Kareem's not a Christian, but Proverbs 27:2 comes to mind:
"Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips."

As a player, I have nothing but the utmost respect for "The Captain," but I lost some respect for him as a human with this, "Where's my statue? Where's the love, man?" bit.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 19 May, 2011 18:30, Blogger Rev. said...

Some people think Kareem is the greatest, but my dad says he didn't work hard enough on defense. And he sayid that lots of times, Kareem didn't even run down court. And that he didn't really try... except during the playoffs. Makes a lot of people wonder if Kareem really had the 'eye of the tiger'.

 
At 19 May, 2011 19:21, Blogger GUNNY said...

LIsten, Rev! I've been hearing that ever since he was at UCLA. He's out there busting his buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

 
At 20 May, 2011 13:15, Blogger Rick said...

Roger Over.

 
At 21 May, 2011 17:03, Anonymous Lance said...

We have clearance, Clarence.

 
At 27 May, 2011 13:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

What's our vector, Victor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting