Thursday, November 04, 2010

I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place.

30 years ago today, this country made one of its greatest decisions ever, electing Ronald Wilson Reagan to be president of the United States of America.

Those who really lived through it know you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a president better suited for that era and the challenges specific to it.

I have a feeling President Reagan's closing remarks in the presidential debate with Carter will be useful in 2012:
"Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was? Do you feel that our security is as safe, that we're as strong as we were four years ago? And if you answer all of those questions yes, why then, I think your choice is very obvious as to whom you will vote for. If you don't agree, if you don't think that this course that we've been on for the last four years is what you would like to see us follow for the next four, then I could suggest another choice that you have."

Among other things (e.g., economic recovery, strengthening of military, restoring respectability internationally, etc.), President Reagan appointed the first woman to the Supreme Court, despite claims by the other party to the pro-woman party.

Of course, he was known as the "Great Communicator," so I leave you with a few of his quotes.
  • "A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."
  • [to Carter] "There you go again."
  • [about Mondale] "I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience."
  • "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
  • "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
  • "Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets."
  • "But there are advantages to being elected President. The day after I was elected, I had my high school grades classified 'Top Secret.'"
  • "We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added."
  • "The problem is not that people are taxed too little; the problem is that government spends too much."
  • "The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
  • "Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
  • "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15."
  • "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."
  • "If we ever forget that we are 'One Nation Under God,' then we will be a nation gone under."

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 05 November, 2010 08:31, Blogger etoc said...

You didn't get my favorite which was compliments of a microphone unexpectedly left on: "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

 
At 05 November, 2010 18:40, Blogger GUNNY said...

D'oh, how could I forget? Has there ever been a president with such a great sense of humor? Certainly not in my lifetime.

 
At 05 November, 2010 22:36, Blogger Rev. said...

Amen. I remember, and now... I really miss President Reagan.

 
At 07 November, 2010 19:54, Blogger Teresa said...

We're Reagan lovers too ~ great post. Our son's middle name is Reagan, named after our favorite President.

 
At 08 November, 2010 11:00, Blogger Matt said...

Good stuff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting