Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am not an animal! I am a human being.

I am unashamedly a one-issue voter. To clarify, there are MANY issues that I find of interest and/or importance, but all those issues are not created equal.

That one issue for me is the stance toward the rights on the unborn, either by a party or a candidate. On Oprah today is Lisa Ling talking about how we treat the animals we eat.

I wonder if Oprah would have someone on her show to talk about how human babies are treated. To further explore the different approaches toward animals or humans, I share John Piper's experience with animals that led him to be a one issue voter.

“…When we bought our dog at the Humane Society, I picked up a brochure on the laws of Minnesota concerning animals. Statute 343.2, subdivision 1 says, ‘No person shall . . . unjustifiably injure, maim, mutilate or kill any animal.’ Subdivision 7 says, ‘No person shall willfully instigate or in any way further any act of cruelty to any animal.’ The penalty: ‘A person who fails to comply with any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.’

Now this set me to pondering the rights of the unborn. An eight-week-old human fetus has a beating heart, an EKG, brain waves, thumb-sucking, pain sensitivity, finger-grasping, and genetic humanity, but under our present laws is not a human person with rights under the 14th Amendment, which says that ‘no state shall deprive any person of life . . . without due process of law.’ Well, I wondered, if the unborn do not qualify as persons, it seems that they could at least qualify as animals, say a dog, or at least a cat. Could we not at least charge abortion clinics with cruelty to animals under Statute 343.2, subdivision 7? Why is it legal to ’maim, mutilate and kill’ a pain-sensitive unborn human being but not an animal?

These reflections have confirmed my conviction never to vote for a person who endorses such an evil—even if he could balance the budget tomorrow and end all taxation.”
Read the rest of the article, One-Issue Politics, One-Issue Marriage, and the Humane Society by John Piper (1995).

How looks 2008?

Princeton professor Dr. Robert George:
Barack Obama is the most extreme pro-abortion candidate ever to seek the office of President of the United States. He is the most extreme pro-abortion member of the United States Senate. Indeed, he is the most extreme pro-abortion legislator ever to serve in either house of the United States Congress…” (HT Justin Taylor)
Read the rest of the essay, Obama's Abortion Extremism by Robert George (10/14/2008).

I think you can do the math on this one. I must oppose Barack Obama, for this issue alone is enough to disqualify him.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 14 October, 2008 17:26, Blogger Kasey said...

I had planned to vote for Obama... until I saw a video of Gianna Jessen speaking about the Born Alive Infants Act. I had no idea that some infants who were to be aborted were actually born alive, and then thrown away to die. (See bornalivetruth.org.) Obama voted against Born Alive 4 times. My conscience won't allow me to vote for someone who thinks that's ok.

 
At 14 October, 2008 20:11, Blogger KELLY said...

Well said....it drives me crazy that there is more time spent on law like this one (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/pets/cats/5984729.html) that ponders whether my hometown should consider passing a law similiar to the one passed in Los Angeles ordering its 3.8 million citizens to spay and neuter their pets or face repeated fines and criminal charges.

All the while, illegal immigration is getting out of control by the day. Then, there is the issue that has my undivided attention right now - the issue of the number of people driving without a driver's license. Here in Texas - if you do not have a license - the hospitality of our southern cops is over the top. They write you a ticket and send you on your way - driving WITHOUT a license. It's insane!

Whew...I feel better, Gunny! Thanks for the time on the soapbox! :0

 
At 14 October, 2008 20:50, Blogger Rev. said...

Amen! And you've just nicked the tip of the iceberg regarding his stance on abortion. It's not just killing the "unborn," but also the "just born."

 
At 15 October, 2008 08:31, Anonymous Michelle K said...

Thanks for sharing Piper's story. It is so surreal to me that we live in a time when an animal life is given more consideration and sanctity than human beings. I am not trying to go all conspiracy theory on you or anything, but doesn't that whole "born alive" issue bring back memories of what we know of Hitler's regime doing "mercy killings" for the elderly and those born with disabilties or were otherwsie unwanted and undesirable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting