Friday, August 29, 2008

Are you saying you'll flunk us if we don't change the world?

I meant to hit this earlier in the day, even before John McCain dropped his bomb.

Obama's platform is obviously one of "Change." But, even if you're discontent, change comes in 2 flavors, positive and negative.

Remember, Hitler brought change to Deutschland. Castro brought change to Cuba. Lenin brought change to Russia. Coach Franchione brought change to Aggie football, taking a contending team to the heights of mediocrity. RC was starting to look pretty good, wasn't he?

Regardless of who wins in November, expect much change. It may take years or decades to know if that change was/is for the better, however.

Mr. Change looked pretty good last night, this rhetorician would say. He spoke well and his speech had some nice zingers "Eight is enough" and some good emotive aspects.

I thought he ventured into the realm of playing dirty a few times where McCain is concerned, which kind of surprised me, but overall, I was impressed with his presentation. I don't think he did himself any favors in picking Joe Biden as his running mate, but he did last night.

Today, I was shocked to hear of John McCain's running mate, or matess, Sarah Palin (seemingly no relation to Michael). I'd never heard of her and was initially discouraged by what seemed a "Hail Mary" play. I had been hoping for J.C. Watts, not because I had any notion he would be the pick, but I've always been a fan.

Mrs. Palin is staunchly pro-life, earning some real credibility in that area by refusing elective abortion on her fifth child, who has Down's Syndrome. At age 44, she has about the same amount of experience as Obama, but I like hers better being of the executive variety, having served as Alaska's governor.

She's a lifetime member of the NRA, which jazzes me as well. Who wouldn't value that in a woman?! Her oldest son is shipping out to Iraq, so she's got credibility to talk to the issue beyond, "I met this mom who has a son in Iraq" like the vast majority of politicians.

Unlike those who haven't lived outside of DC in decades, she's not a Washington insider, so I'm thinking if your thing is change, you've got a better bet with her than all these senators. Personally, I've never been a fan of a senator being president anyway.

The more I learned, the more I liked the pick. I'm sure priority #1 is not to let your VP candidate hurt you, but in my mind she has helped the ticket immensely. Not only might she appeal to women, since the Republican party now seems the one that cares about women and empowering them, unlike the Dems who kicked their female to the curb in favor of two dudes.

She might be able to score a few disgruntled Hillary supporters, but a true conservative like myself can feel a lot better about voting GOP in this election. My entrenched apathy toward this election started to really thaw today.

I'm all for change and I think she's got the capacity to bring about good change. Win, lose, or draw in November, I think she's the brightest star the GOP has where presidential politics are concerned. On his 72nd birthday, McCain gave himself and the GOP a gift.

P.S. Sarah Palin's acceptance speech this morning is linked on Conservative Reformed Mafia for your viewing pleasure.

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 29 August, 2008 21:30, Blogger KELLY said...

Sarah Palin is a great pick for VP! She rocks! I started reading up on her when her name was first mentioned as a prospective candidate several months ago!

One of the reasons I like her - is she should inspire all of us to get involved on the most local level - to make the changes we think need to be made. She did not just sit around in Starbucks with her friends complaining about how things needed to change...she stepped up and made change happen! Against all odds, she won elections and began to fight for change - and succeeded! That's inspiration!

 
At 29 August, 2008 22:16, Blogger Kasey said...

Personally, it bothers me that Palin has a 4 month old baby and is running for VP. My baby was born 2 days after hers, and I wonder how she could appropriately care for her child, who has special needs, and successfully serve as VP. I read that she went back to work 3 days after her baby was born. Many people would say that shows dedication to her job, but what about her 3 day old newborn's needs? I used to consider myself a feminist and would have never thought I would be writing a comment like this. However, having a baby has made me realize that a baby has an intense need for his mother. The office of VP will require Palin to sacrifice a great deal of time with her baby and I'm not sure I could vote for a woman who would be ok with that.

 
At 29 August, 2008 23:11, Blogger GUNNY said...

Kasey, it's amazing how having children changes everything, isn't it?

;-)

On that motherhood issue, as I heard it at least, her husband is pretty much a stay-at-home dad and is the primary caregiver. I understand he has slooge he dabbles in, but that the domestic child-rearing falls primarily on daddy.

Kelly, sounds like you got a head start on the rest of us regarding getting to know SP the potential VP.

 
At 29 August, 2008 23:35, Blogger KELLY said...

Gunny,
Only because the past year I have been really convicted about making my complaining pro-active (ha!) by complaining to the people who can make the change...instead of just complaining on my blog or to friends. And being the "information junkie" that I am...I have discovered that Sarah Palin did just that!

 
At 30 August, 2008 14:10, Blogger Lance said...

I like the J. C. Watts comment. I was a big fan of his when he led the Oklahoma Sooners to two Orange Bowl victories, including a thrilling one over Florida State, that included a last-minute TD and two-point conversion.

Without googling, do you know what the J. C. stands for?

 
At 30 August, 2008 15:30, Blogger GUNNY said...

My bad ... I probably should have clarified when my affection for when J.C. Watts began. Oddly enough, it was after his playing days at o.u.

I read your boy Barry Switzer's book, Bootlegger's Boy, back in the day, but will still have to guess. Here are my top 3:
1. Jerome Charles
2. Julius Caesar
3. Jed Clampett

I'm pretty sure he wasn't named after the good Lord, but you never know.

 
At 30 August, 2008 15:32, Blogger Lance said...

Thank God it's not #3.

#2 is correct!

Julius Caesar.

 
At 30 August, 2008 15:35, Blogger GUNNY said...

That was gonna be my first choice! Shoot. Always go with your gut.

 
At 30 August, 2008 19:35, Blogger Jade said...

I had no idea that McCain is 72 years old! Goes to you how long ago I tuned out of politics. :ob Didn't Reagan start loosing his mind when he hit his 70's? Hmmm....

Yes, I think it did much good to McCain's campaign to pick Palin. He certainly wasn't winning the conservatives over and had really wondered if he was ever going to win them over by the time Nov comes along. But my concern is that he probably only picked her just to win the election on Nov. I mean, will he honestly listen to her or merely used her as a pawn to win an election? Will she be like a Dick Cheney as to George W. Bush? Or will she be treated like Christine Todd Whitman in the Bush Administration and eventually be thrown by the side. I don't mean that she would eventually be removed as VP but rather only be VP by name.

 
At 30 August, 2008 19:36, Anonymous RonH said...

<troll>
I don't mind her leading the free world or anything. Just so long as she doesn't teach a man.
</troll>

}-)

 
At 30 August, 2008 19:39, Anonymous RonH said...

hey, Kasey... Don't worry about her keeping up with her newborn while working. Looks like she's got that covered.

 
At 30 August, 2008 19:44, Blogger Jade said...

LOL Rohn. :ob But the fact is she'd still lead men under her! And there are plenty under her. Keep in mind, McCain is not getting any younger. I didn't really think much into this ... and I'm not trying to think ill of McCain, but there's a good chance that Palin might one day be Commander-in-Chief. I don't know if that'll turn off some conservatives. But hey, she apparently knows how to handle a gun! :ob

 
At 30 August, 2008 22:31, Blogger Kasey said...

Thanks Ron, that makes me feel much better. I never thought I would see a babywearing VP candidate!

 
At 01 September, 2008 15:27, Anonymous Michelle K said...

This puts an interesting twist on things...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/palin.daughter/index.html

 
At 01 September, 2008 15:51, Blogger brandi said...

Monday's blog, please.

 
At 01 September, 2008 16:02, Blogger GUNNY said...

Ron, did you see Doug Wilson's thoughts on the woman leading issue?

"One more thing. An issue that will be discussed among some conservative Christians is the propriety of electing a woman. Evangelical Christians are overwhelmingly hostile to feminism, and so what is with that? I have argued before from Isaiah 3:12 -- "children are their oppressors, and women rule over them" -- that feminism is one of the things Scripture uses as an indicator of God's judgment on a culture. I still believe that, and also believe that we are in fact under this particular judgment in our culture. But as a biblical absolutist, and not a simple traditionalist, I also want to make room for the occasional Deborah. Life is funny, and you should remember that in the Bible Deborah was the dame who upstaged a fellow named Barak. Kinda spooky when you think about it."

 
At 01 September, 2008 16:29, Blogger Jade said...

Very interesting Gunny.... Doug Wilson ... hmmm. But he's not exactly your extreme ... it's that other Doug ... Doug Philips. I always get those two mixed up! But as you can probably guess, Doug Philips is seeing the glass half full:
http://www.visionforum.com/hottopics/blogs/dwp/2008/08/4277.aspx

And as it seems Gunny ... you've got some impatient customers here demanding their dosage of "Case of the Mondays", so you might wanna get to it! You know, you should start charging per viewing.... :ob

 
At 01 September, 2008 16:42, Blogger Jade said...

Here's another post by Doug Philips. I can imagine, he'll be quite busy posting until the election....

 
At 02 September, 2008 10:32, Blogger Lance said...

Speaking of change . . . the Slocum firing is looking worse every minute.

Some serious bad bull in Aggieland, bro.

Ouch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting