Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!

Tonight the 2nd season starts for hockey, so it's time to make predictions. (Top 10 story lines to watch this postseason)

While I'm at it, I'll offer my belated baseball predictions and solicit the same from you.

Sheesh, why not NBA predictions as well.

NHL (1st Round Schedule)
Western Conference ...
1Red Wings over 8Predators
2Sharks over 7Flames
6Avalanche over 3Wild
5Stars over 4Ducks

1Red Wings over 6Avalanche
5Stars over 2Sharks

5Stars over 1Red Wings (revenge for '98)

Eastern Conference ...
1Canadians over 8Bruins
2Penguins over 7Senators
3Capitals over 6Flyers
5Rangers over 4Devils

1Canadians over 5Rangers
3Capitals over 2 Penguins

3Capitals over 1 Canadians

Stanley Cup Finals ...
Dallas Stars over Washington Capitals

Notes: I admit limited knowledge of the east, but I still feel pretty good about that first round, especially the Devils eating it for taunting the Lord like that. I'm probably naive with Dallas, but crazy things happen in the NHL playoffs.

MLB
NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Cardinals
NL West - Diamondbacks
NL Wildcard - Cubs

AL East - Red Sox
AL Central - White Sox
AL West - Athletics
AL Wildcard - Yankees

World Series - Cardinals over Red Sox (revenge for '04)

Notes: Without anticipated seeding it's hard to know, but I'd like to see Cardinals over Cubs and Red Sox over White Sox to win the NLCS and ALCS respectively.

NBA (anticipated seeding)
Western Conference ...
1Hornets over 8Nuggets
4Jazz over 5Rockets
7Mavericks over 2Spurs
3Lakers over 6Suns

4Jazz over 1Hornets
3Lakers over 7Mavericks

3Lakers over 4Jazz

Eastern Conference ...
1Celtics over 8Hawks
4Caviliers over 5Bullets
2Pistons over 7Raptors
3Magic over 676ers

1Celtics over 4Caviliers
2Pistons over 3Magic

1Celtics over 2Pistons

NBA Finals ...
Lakers over Celtics (just like old times)

Notes: Mavs over the Spurs seems unlikely, but the Dirk & Co. match up pretty well against the Champs, even in the playoffs. NBA playoffs operate under a strict bracket system, so teams are not re-seeded after the first round to give the highest seed, for example, the lowest possible remaining seed as an opponent (like the NHL).

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 09 April, 2008 14:05, Blogger Reepicheep said...

It'll be teh Red Wings or Sharks VS The Canadiens.

 
At 09 April, 2008 14:17, Blogger GUNNY said...

Not a bad pick. I was really tempted to go with Montreal, but I hate to see Lord Stanley's Cup not on US soil.

I'm not sure the Stars could have written a tougher script for themselves than having to beat last year's Cup winner, the Sharks, and then the Wings.

Zubov sure would help.

 
At 09 April, 2008 14:20, Blogger Rev. said...

Go Spurs Go.

G0 CARDS!

NHL? What's the NHL? I thought they quit doing that a couple of years ago. ;)

 
At 09 April, 2008 21:25, Blogger Sean Crowe said...

I am glad to see that there is someone else in Texas, besides myself, that has some interest in the greatest game ever played. I can't say that I am too impressed with your comment regarding OUR cup on US soil. Oh yeah, I neglected to mention that I am a proud Canadian studying at Southwestern. In case you aren't aware (which I assume, based on your comment, that you are not), Lord Stanley was the Governor General of Canada, and the cup belongs in the True North Strong and Free. We have let America hold it for us for thirteen years too many, and it is time for it to return home. I must say that I would have preferred it end up in Vancouver, but seeing as my beloved Canucks closed out the season with a less than stellar showing, I will settle for the Habs, Flames, or Sens to bring home the Cup.

 
At 09 April, 2008 22:14, Blogger GUNNY said...

Take off, eh!

Lord Stanley's Cup needs to come back home to DALLAS ... where ... uh ... at least 2 of us care about hockey.

Okay, truth be told, here's the pecking order of where I'd like to see the cup:

1. Dallas
2. Anywhere but Detroit

After tonight's game, it looks like the Senators really have their work cut out for them, but Calgary is presently up 2-1.

 
At 09 April, 2008 23:20, Blogger Reepicheep said...

Canada has so little else to be proud of, letting them have the cup every once and a while is a nice gesture we can do for the little guys. Go Habs.

 
At 10 April, 2008 13:56, Anonymous Lionel Woods said...

CELTICS OVER THE PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

I guess I will take everything nice I said back. Thank you for lunch but our friendship has ended with such narrowmindedness!!!!

LOL!

Pistons Rule the West will be each other up so much (I will be suprised if 3 of the four don't go seven games each)that when the East comes they will be well rested.

Red Wings Rule (time to bring the cup back to its natural habitat when in the world did they start playing hockey in Flordia, is there ice there?)


Tigers will bounce back and win the AL pennet (once our pitching gets in rythem. You know the bats will go wild in a couple of weeks)


Lions.... well we are taking a reciever next month (and if anyone can help raise funds to send Matt Millen to Mars for life I will have a paypal button on my site)

 
At 10 April, 2008 14:36, Blogger GUNNY said...

I was pleased to see the Tigers get a "W" last night. Not a great start, but they'll bounce back.

Pistons over Celtics? It *could* happen, but that would be a rough series.

The West certain could limp into the Finals after beating on each other pretty bad.

If the Mighty Lakers could get & stay healthy, I certainly like their chances.

They've got an interesting match up on Sunday against the Spurs. That's in the sights of my TiVo.

I don't fear anyone in the NHL playoffs, except Detroit, though it was nice seeing Shanahan get a goal in a different uniform last night.

Some of the perennial Stars killers are no longer wearing the red, so that helps.

 
At 10 April, 2008 20:30, Anonymous the BoBo said...

Hockey?! That whole thing is a fluke and is on its way out soon.

Rockets & Astros will each claim their respective titles.

p.s. Of course I don't believe any of this, but since we are pretending to live in a dream world...

 
At 10 April, 2008 21:24, Blogger Reepicheep said...

Fear the Sharks, they have been a different team since getting Brian Campbell. Fear them.

 
At 10 April, 2008 23:07, Blogger GUNNY said...

Reep,

Nabokov is also a more than ample netminder.

Sharks will be contenders for sure.


The Bobo said ...

"... since we are pretending to live in a dream world..."

Hmm. Perhaps that's the reason that my yearly prediction of the Cardinals, Stars, Cowboys, and Lakers winning the championships each year are coming up short.

But ... the Stars said to "Believe," so I'm ah gonna do it.

P.S. What's up with your boy Backe hacking off Albert Pujols to the tune of 3 of 4, including 2 homers yesterday?

 
At 11 April, 2008 02:23, Blogger GUNNY said...

The Sharks evened up the series against the flames, the Wings "lucked out" (again), but Dallas sure looked strong with a 4-0 victory over the (formerly Mighty) Ducks.

Still, some 5 on 5 offense would have been nice. All 4 of Dallas' goals came on the power play.

Home ice, which seemingly means nothing in the NHL playoffs, now belongs to the Stars.

 
At 11 April, 2008 09:54, Anonymous BoBo said...

I'm convinced that Pujols' has some 'juice' every morning with breakfast. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

 
At 11 April, 2008 09:58, Blogger GUNNY said...

Hater in the house!

Hmm. I'm thinking my team isn't the one who sold its soul for Tejada!

 
At 11 April, 2008 13:06, Blogger Lance said...

When does college football begin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting