Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!
In the past, I've sounded off about my dissatisfaction with the BCS & college football, but I still have to share a few thoughts after tonight's game.
1. Though I wouldn't have known the game was on tonight had Bobo not reminded me this afternoon, I was rooting for LSU to win.
2. I think it is whacked to have a 2 loss team (i.e., LSU) playing for the national championship.
3. I think LSU would have done well enough in a playoff system and likely still won.
4. The BCS is really quite silly and the NCAA should pick the top 4 teams and have a playoff system. Pick the 4 highest ranked conference winners, but only 4. Five is right out.
5. A team that cannot win its own conference should be ineligible for the playoffs. (Incidentally, I believe that about professional sports as well and hate the "wild card" slooge, but that's another post for another time.)
6. I realize that there are 5 pretty good conference champions from which to choose (ACC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, and PAC-10). At least one of those would be tender each year.
7. I also realize that there are certain schools that are independent and not in a conference. Learn to get along with others by joining a conference if you want to play for the national championship. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and you can still wind up in the non-BCS bowls.
8. Unless the go to a playoff system, the tenderness, conspiracy theories, and controversy will continue to overshadow what could actually be a pretty good product. You might as well have strange women lying in ponds distributing swords as the basis for a system of championship determination.
- In my playoff system, you'd quibble about how teams 5 & 6 got snubbed, but you'd be less likely to hear that the best team in the country wasn't able to play for the national championship.
- You'd only need an extra 2 weeks for a 4-team playoff and you could start the NFL games a week later, if you're worried about playoff competition.
Congratulations to LSU on their win tonight and to the 2 schools (i.e., Kentucky & Arkansas) that can boast that they were/are better than the National Champions.