Thursday, November 22, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things.

A while back Stephanie "tagged" me with this whammie, but I just finally got around to handling up on my business.

It's been almost 5 months, but some of these are harder questions than others.


1. WHAT WERE YOU DOING 10 YEARS AGO?
Earliers in '97 I had been ordained and was serving as the associate pastor of a SBC church. I was in my last year of seminary, writing a thesis on "Seeking in the Evangelism of Jonathan Edwards." Mary Ellen and I had no children yet and were trying to decide between going the pastoral ministry route or in the direction of the more academic, so I was candidating a bit and had put in an application at Oxford University.


2. WHAT WERE YOU DOING 1 YEAR AGO?
Serving as the pastor of Providence Church, a plant in Garland, Texas, and bemoaning the state of Aggie football.


3. FIVE SNACKS YOU ENJOY.
BBQ Ruffles; peanuts; beef jerkey; Chili Cheese Fritos; and ice cream (Blue Bell, the best ice cream in the country).


4. FIVE SONGS YOU KNOW ALL THE WORDS TO.
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God; How Great Thou Art; Be Thou My Vision; To God Be the Glory; and The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.


5. FIVE THINGS YOU’D DO IF YOU WERE A MILLIONAIRE.
Build Providence Church its own building; Buy some land for future family residence; upgrade to a Harley Heritage; Put in a pool and invite all of you over to celebrate with catering done by White Castle; and adopt a slew of overseas orphans.


6. FIVE BAD HABITS.
Waiting until the day after my inspection expires to renew so I can get an extra month; Leaving stacks of cag on my desk; Staying up too late; Eating competitively, always needing to get my money's worth at the buffet; and uh ... seeing as how this post took me so long, procrastination has to make the list.


7. FIVE THINGS YOU LIKE DOING.
Watching sports (e.g., Cardinals, Cowboys, Aggies, Mighty Lakers, Little Mavericks, Stars), particularly with my son; Riding my Harley; Swimming with the kids; Doing missions work in Deutschland; and Going to church with my family.


8. FIVE THINGS YOU WOULD NEVER WEAR AGAIN.
Members-Only jacket; Thick, brightly colored shoes laces with my Nike high-tops; Bikini swim trunks; High school letter jacket or ring; and a Tail (how many of you know what I'm talking about?).


I believe I'm supposed to "tag" some other bloggers to "entertain" us as well. I'll tag Lance, Rev, Brent, Matt, and Jay the Bennett.


If you lads would post a link to your response in the comments section it would be greatly appreciated. And it better not take you 5 months to handle up either!

*However, if you're a reader and/or comment-er, I'd certainly be interested in your responses to any and/or all of the above items.*

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

16 Comments:

At 22 November, 2007 06:36, Anonymous Chris Brauns said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 23 November, 2007 13:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bobo says Sound of Music. Wierd...you wore a pair of bikini swim trunks. UUUgghh. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

 
At 23 November, 2007 15:30, Blogger Rev. said...

Bikini trunks *and* a tail?!? Oh my!!!

 
At 23 November, 2007 17:10, Blogger Rev. said...

Here's mine. Gunny, I'm not too original, so I used your title from TSOM. ;)

http://drjamesgalyon.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things-2/

 
At 23 November, 2007 23:16, Anonymous Mark T. said...

I'm very concerned about your diet. I strongly recommend green vegetables, as a first step in remedying this problem. Chlorophyll is a good thing. Fear not.

 
At 23 November, 2007 23:34, Blogger Jesus Girl said...

Gunny,

I have done my homework. You can check my answers to "These are a few of my favorite things" at --

www.JesusGirl4life.blogspot.com

That was quite fun. I remember your tail. I seemed to have blocked out the "bikini trunks."

PTL. =]

 
At 24 November, 2007 16:05, Blogger GUNNY said...

Rev. wrote: "* These are five bad habits that many people have. This was the one thing on the list that didn’t specify having to do with me (e.g., “Five Bad Habits You Have”), so I thought I’d talk about somebody else’s issues."

Sneaky, sneaky, sir! I'm impressed, I must say.
;-)

JesusGirl & Bobo ... You're just fortunate I didn't have any pictures of said wardrobe that survived ... as am I!

Mark T ...
You're not the first with that concern. Oddly enough, in my pre-Christian days my phobia of green vegetables was so intense that I actually used to tell people that I was allergic to chlorophyll so I wouldn't be forced to deal with the dreaded and feared greenage when diving at a friends house, etc.

 
At 24 November, 2007 16:11, Blogger Jade said...

You had a tail?! Do you actually have photos as proof? Thankfully you didn't have any photos of the "bikini trunk"; someone could have used that as blackmail. What possessed you to wear that?! Did you like loose a bet or something? :ob

 
At 24 November, 2007 16:45, Blogger Jesus Girl said...

You told people you were allergic to chlorophyll?! That's pretty clever. WOW.

 
At 24 November, 2007 22:30, Blogger Matthew Bradley said...

Catering by White Castle? This is why God is not entrusting millions to you, Gun.

Everyone knows Krystal Burger is better than White Castle.

Give me a wee bit o' time and I'll post my response.

Matt

 
At 24 November, 2007 22:41, Blogger GUNNY said...

C'mon, Matt!

Sure, Krystal will do in a pinch, but it's an obvious imitation.

But, White Castle is better because ...
1. White Castle burgers are greasier.
2. White Castle steam the bun, which seems to help it absorb the grease better for better passage.
3. White Castle cook their onions longer and they're more likely to get all over the place during dining.
4. White Castle burgers are about a dime cheaper each. (That doesn't sound like much, but after a few sacks a day it starts to really add up.)
5. The White Castle restaurants are in the shape of a white castle, while Krystals are in the shape of a Wienerschnitzel or Burger Chef or Hardees or some such.

Hmm. I am getting a bit hungry now and it's a whole lot easier to make a Krystal run tonight that to get a sack of belly bombers.

But wouldn't that undermine my above reasons and potentially be tiny burger adultery?!

 
At 25 November, 2007 16:46, Blogger Lance said...

The "again," after "things I will never wear," frightens me, esp. when the response was bikini trunks.

I don't even want to begin to think about it.

Just read this Sunday, so I'll think on it and hopefully post soon.

 
At 26 November, 2007 12:08, Anonymous Rae Whitlock said...

Aw man... I almost wish I hadn't seen this. Looks like Steph tagged me in that same post and I never responded. Guess I have something to do later.

 
At 26 November, 2007 12:22, Blogger GUNNY said...

I'm getting more commentary on the bikini trunks than I would have thought. But that just goes to show the value of having a picutre. I made those look good!

;-)

Okay ... in retrospect, they were obscene.

Rae, I feel ya, brother.

I had managed to juke it for almost 5 months and then realized my oversight. But ... if I gotta do it ...

 
At 29 November, 2007 23:13, Blogger Matthew Bradley said...

Here you go Gunny...

http://sdgfamily.blogspot.com/2007/11/las-cosas-favoritas.html

Matt

 
At 30 November, 2007 02:58, Blogger GUNNY said...

Good slooge, Matt.

Thanks for taking the time to prove your love for Jesus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting