Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
Okay, some of us might have to turn in our "Man Cards."
Popular Mechanics has a list of 25 Skills Every Man Should Know.
Oddly enough, bow hunting skills and computer hacking skills didn't make the list.
Every man should know how to...
1. Patch a radiator hose
2. Protect your computer
3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
4. Frame a wall
5. Retouch digital photos
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Fix a dead outlet
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Use a torque wrench
11. Sharpen a knife
12. Perform CPR
13. Fillet a fish
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Back up data
17. Paint a room
18. Mix concrete
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
20. Change oil and filter
21. Hook up an HDTV
22. Bleed brakes
23. Paddle a canoe
24. Fix a bike flat
25. Extend your wireless network
How well did you fare on this exam?
I have to argue with the list, at least a bit. They've overestimated the value of some, but neglected others. My additions:
- Change a car tire.
- Open a tight lid on a jar.
- Make coffee.
- Skin a buck
- Run a trout line.
- Live off the land.
- Catch catfish from dusk 'til dawn.
- Spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye.
- Cook steak on the grill, having created a charcoal fire.
- Make an omelette.
- Tie a bowline & taut-line hitch.
- Tie a tie (bow tie is for the advanced class).
- Make chili.
- Unclog a drain or toilet.
- Use jumper cables.
- Change his child's diaper.
- Balance a checkbook.
- Change spark plugs.
- Set up a tent.
- Talk intelligently about religion & politics, arguing a point without shouting or fisticuffs.
- Train a dog.
- Ride a horse.
- Ride a Harley.
- Water ski.
- Drive a car with a standard transmission (stick shift).
- Cauterize the wound from an arrow using only a knife, gun powder, a stick to bite, the heel of a revolver, some whiskey, and a cheap cigar.
- Exterminate fire ants ... with extreme prejudice.
- Use duct tape to fix any and all broken things.