Monday, April 16, 2007

Why is that?

Okay, as I near the end of another year of birth being celebrated, there are just certain things about this life I don't understand. I see things and ask, in my best Kip Dynamite, "Why is that?"

I don't understand ...

why my mail arrives at a different time each day. On the days I want to drop something in the mail to be picked up, the post has been here already by noon. Yet, it's not uncommon for the mail to arrive after 5PM, having noted it before coming just before 9PM. Wouldn't it be the same route every day? Yet, the window of mail delivery is incredible. Why is that?

why Paris Hilton is so famous, beyond her parents having money. She's not hailed as a great actress or beauty queen, but seems to be a professional celebrity with mucho fame. Why is that?

why my body temperature internally is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, but if the outside temperature is 95 degrees, I feel warm. Shouldn't the equilibrium be such that I'm content when my internal temperature matches the external? Shouldn't I be warm only when it's 98.7 or higher and be cool/cold if the temperature drops below 98.6? But that's not the case. I'm warm when it's 80 degrees. Why is that?

why I would want to give $3 to the presidential campaign fund. I was asked this when having my taxes done and, as usual, I declined. If a person has any political interest, why not give that $3 to a candidate worthy of support instead of pooling it into some slooge fund? Why is that?

why the hair on my arm, for example, will grow back, if shaven, but only to the same length it was before. How does it know when to stop growing? How does it know how long it has become? Why is that?

why the Mona Lisa is such a famous painting. I find it exceedingly average. The lady is not attractive. DaVinci did other things that seem to have more of the elements/aspects of beauty described by Kant in his Critique of Judgment. There are other works of art from that era that seem to have greater intrinsic value, but staring at the original as a teenager I was told it was such a famous painting. Why is that?

why Gone with the Wind is such a beloved movie. I find the acting marginal, the storyline laborious, and the characters sub par. Yet, people love it. Why is that?

why the thermos is not seen as the greatest invention of all time. It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold and I wonder how does it know. Why is that?

why people so hate athletic celebrations. A guy scores a touchdown and signs a football with a Sharpie or pulls out a cellphone or dances around or uses the ball as a pillow, etc. Some want to see such players fined or suspended or at least given a stern talking to. Sports is all about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I do think it odd when you see an exuberant celebration after a routine play (e.g., a tackle) or when the team is getting smoked off the filed/court, but some people REALLY hate to see exuberant celebration. Why is that?

why wackos such as the goon at Virginia Tech today decide to unleash their depravity on random people, particularly on the campus of a school. I understand that humanity is fallen to the point that it is only the restraining power of God's Spirit that keeps folks from being as evil as they could be, but what's the rationale from shooting people, killing at least 22 (as of noon, but by 5PM it's at least 32). Oddly enough, this was the second time in less than a year that the campus was shut down due to a shooting. This is apparently the "deadliest campus shooting in history," a record I hope will stand the test of time. The evil gunman is dead, cowardly committing suicide. So we cannot ask him, but he saw fit to end the lives of these people and derail the lives of many. Why is that?

5 Comments:

At 16 April, 2007 16:50, Anonymous Eric said...

So many questions, not enough answers...I also wondered about many things, yet the answers escape me. The only thing we can do is go to God in prayer.

 
At 16 April, 2007 20:37, Blogger Rev. said...

Mail - different carriers w/ different levels of experience overall, different levels of experience with particular routes.

Paris Hilton - pure weirdness.

Body temp - that's a great question. I have absolutely no idea.

Presidential campaign - because some government hosehead thought up that one. No good reason for any sensible person to give $3 to that fund.

Hair - I'm not the one to ask. ;)

Mona Lisa - because it's the only title of a painting that non-art majors know.

Gone with the Wind - Think it was the first "colorized" pic. Might be why so many people remember it fondly.

Thermos - blue collar workers from the Midwest do recognize its greatness. :)

Athletic celebrations - because of T.O.

Va Tech - maybe because young people have been indoctrinated w/ evolution and self-esteem. "What does it matter if others, who are nothing but the products of slime, are destroyed for my pleasure?"

 
At 17 April, 2007 09:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st Mail- You live in Murphy. That explains much wierdness in and of itself.
Paris Hilton- Well, there's her special video. GAG!

Body temp- clothes. They retain heat more than you realize. One of those heat pictures would reveal that. I'm not suggesting going sans clothes though. Murphy is kooky enough.

$3.00 because America is about being fair. Every one should be even steven- right? (sarcasm)

Hair, I believe has to do with the hairs falling out. Also to consider is one, we only get goose bumps on our arm/ legs. Maybe that scares 'em off.

Gone with the wind- I can't say I like it either.

Sports- exuberant celebration might hurt the other teams feelings. Like I said, aren't we fairsies even stevens? I also think people don't like to see pride. (see your sermon this past Sunday)

VT- It all came down to hopelessness. This guy thought if he was going out, he was taking a bunch with him. Does it make much sense to a sane person? Not terribly. But prideful people (those same people saved by grace) tend to think they would never do x, y or z anyways, but oh the depravity of man without the grace of God in their lives by the atoning blood of Christ. I think I would have a hard time taking a persons life period, warranted or not, but also realize God never allowed me get as depraved as I could have been.

a.e.

 
At 17 April, 2007 18:32, Blogger GUNNY said...

You've got questions, they've got answers ... and good ones at that.

I think T.O. being the lightning rod for controversy probably did bring scorn on the practice. Plus, the whole idea of not hurting anyone's feelings comes into play. Personally, I have no problem with taunting. You get penalized for it, but I think it's good bull to have a little trash talking and such. It increases the rivalry and moves beyond the athletes as "business men" just working for a paycheck, working for the highest bidder.

 
At 18 April, 2007 10:27, Anonymous Michelle K said...

I can’t help you with most of your questions, but concerning the Mona Lisa:

Da Vinci is considered by many to be one of the greatest portrait artists of all time so that alone skyrockets Mona Lisa's fame. Couple that with the facts that she was of unknown identity, she is wearing an enigmatic smile, the claims that her eyes can follow you across a room and then, boom, interest in the painting increases. Additionally, the painting does actually include some milestones in art history, such as being one of the first portraits sitting in front of an imaginary landscape. Finally, apparently the painting didn't even get that much attention until the mid-19th century when artists and the like began to use the painting to illustrate their ideas about the feminine mystique. There's the two cents of one of those "art majors."

BTW, I gave you a shout out in my most recent blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting