Monday, March 12, 2007

Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other.

If you would have told me a year ago that the Aggies would make the Sweet 16, I would have thought that would be a successful season.

However, losing to Memphis last night in the Alamodome in San Antonio left me severely disappointed. I don't think I would be alone in saying expectations were higher, and not just among the Aggie faithful.

But, hey, thanks to Coach Gillispie for raising the bar so that "just" making the Sweet 16 is a disappointment.

Round 1: Aggies 68, Pennsylvania Quakers 52
Round 2: Aggies 72, Louisville Cardinals 69
Round 3: Mephis 65, Aggies 64

Historically, I have had only a passing interest in college basketball and the phenomenon known as March Madness. If my apathy would wane, I would pick as many out of Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina as I could to make the Final Four.

Last year, my interest peaked because the Fightin' Texas Aggie Basketball team make the NCAA Tournament. By the way, did you know we had a basketball team. I didn't until last year.

Last year they were *THIS* close to beating LSU, who won with a miraculous three-pointer at the buzzer. What can you do?

This year, many see the Ags as a lock for the Elite 8 and even some as probable for the Final Four.

What are your Final Four?

Me? I'm glad you asked. It won't be easy for the Ags to get past Ohio State (30-3), but that Acie Law IV is quite the clutch player for the Ags, so I'm in.

SOUTH - (3)Texas A&M (over Ohio State)
EAST - (1)North Carolina (Georgetown)
WEST - (1)Kanas (over UCLA)
MIDWEST - (2)Wisconsin (upset over Florida)

Sadly, I think the Ags fall to NC who meets a Kansas team who beats Wisconsin.

I got NC over KS in the Final. Who's with me?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 13 March, 2007 11:08, Blogger Lance said...

I have not yet filled out a bracket this year. I might, but I find that it consumes me in March. It truly can be madness.
The Ags turnaround is nothing short of staggering, considering where they were just three or four years ago (in the basement of the Big 12).
Hopefully their first-round loss in the Big 12 tourney won't hurt them.
My Sooners are out of the tourney for the first time in a LONG time. Horrible season. I'd like to see NC face Kansas somewhere along the line (finals or semifinals?). Roy Williams goes against the team with which he could never win the big one.

BTW: What does the Ags basketball facility say? "Home of the Sixth Man"?

 
At 13 March, 2007 16:19, Blogger GUNNY said...

Oklahoma's absence is surprising, almost as much as the Ags from up from the cellar to being in the top ten much of the year.

You can find a bracket here (pdf).

 
At 15 March, 2007 07:15, Blogger Rev. said...

Florida
UCLA
Texas
Nevada

Champs: Florida

 
At 17 March, 2007 22:04, Blogger Lance said...

Looks like the little aggies are in the sweet 16.
The time for a cigar approaches.

 
At 17 March, 2007 22:17, Blogger GUNNY said...

This was a close one today.

The kids got a lesson in a grown man fluctuating from extreme highs to extreme lows and back again.

Still, we rejoiced together and celebrated in style ... at Pancho's, brutha.

I was disappointed to see Ohio State stay alive, however. They are going to be tough, assuming Memphis (whom I'm assuming they'll play next).

But, as tough as it must have been play Louisville in KY, it will be much better playing the next one (or two, Lord willing) in the Lone Star State (i.e., San Antonio).

So far, this has been a pretty good batch of games I've seen, with some really nailbiting finishes. I can't take too many more of these and that, apparently, is how A&M rolls.

Cigar time may be approaching, but they've at least attained the level of candy cigarettes this year.

 
At 18 March, 2007 23:47, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Whoooop!

Can I whoop, even if I didn't graduate from Aggieland?

 
At 19 March, 2007 00:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

Absolutely, as Aggieland's adopted son, Jay the Bennett is hereby now and hereafter endowed with full whooping privileges, especially where some good Aggie love is involved.

I was more than a bit surprised to see Texas struggle today as mightily as they did, but we may have just seen a baton passing in the Big XII South this weekend, especially if Durant declares himself eligible for the NBA Draft.

Kansas is still #1 in the Big XII, but the Ags aren't far behind.

Memphis won't be easy later this week, but it will be much more so with it virtually being a home game just down the road.

Some good madness in this March, I must say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting