Monday, September 11, 2006

Strong men also cry.













9/11 ... It's been five years.

Do you remember? What do you remember?

As is likely true for you, I can still remember vividly how and when I first learned of the attacks of September 11, 2001. I was glued to BBC News for what seemed like days.

I remember that day, a Tuesday, thinking, "Is Dallas next?" I remember folks being afraid to go to the mall or a sporting event or really anywhere where large quantities of people would be.

I also remember the tradition rich Aggies honoring the victims and helping their families by selling t-shirts to adorn the stadium with red, white, & blue (pictures: 1 2 3), one of my greatest experiences of Aggie pride. I remember Hall of Famer Jack Buck, the long time voice of the St. Louis Cardinals, stirring my emotions once again as he read an inspirational poem he wrote before the first Cardinals game post-9/11 (one of ESPN's top 100 memorable moments of the last 25 years).

But, I remember day, weeks, or maybe more that I was leary of getting the mail due to antrax findings. I remember the heightened security and even greater angst than usual as I boarded a plane for a mission trip to Germany less than a month later. We wanted to talk about Christ with the German people, but they wanted to talk about the terrorist attacks and how we had their support and sympathy.

In some ways, I think our nation was improved by the tragedy, but, as Merlin said, "It is the doom of men that they forget." For many of us life is back to normal, though we're a little more aware and cautious. However, the events of 9/11 are still very real for our service men and women overseas.

This generation's Day of Infamy is not forgotten. Let us not forget our troops who are still very much in harm's way.

I'll leave you with the words of Jack Buck's poem, his reading of which was re-broadcast at Busch Stadium in St. Louis tonight before their game against the disAstros.
Since this nation was founded ... under God
More than 200 years ago
We have been the bastion of freedom
The light that keeps the free world aglow
We do not covet the possessions of others
We are blessed with the bounty we share.
We have rushed to help other nations
... anything ... anytime ... anywhere.

War is just not our nature
We won't start ... but we will end the fight
If we are involved we shall be resolved
To protect what we know is right.

We have been challenged by a cowardly foe
Who strikes and then hides from our view.

With one voice we say, "There is no choice today,
There is only one thing to do.

Everyone is saying -- the same thing -- and praying
That we end these senseless moments we are living.

As our fathers did before ... we shall win this unwanted war
And our children ... will enjoy the future ... we'll be giving.
Many thanks to those who are, who have, or will be fighting that our children and grandchildren might enjoy such a future.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11 September, 2006 08:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems like only months ago and sometimes it seems like more than 5 years ago. I do remember coming to the Hartman house that morning after I had seen that the first plabe had hit. The greatest tragedy would be to forget what happened that day and why it happened.
~Michelle

 
At 12 September, 2006 15:20, Anonymous Zach said...

Very good post Gunny - I'm gonna link you my site...

 
At 13 September, 2006 09:27, Blogger scripturesearcher said...

I have never met you but sincerely appreciate your webpate.

We have a mutual friend in a guy
from Beaumont (before he became so famous and moved to Florida) -

we know him as the one and only
Doctor (or nurse) Tom Ascol.

Persevere! Or as he would say it
PRESS ON, PARDNER! That's how all those Texans (Aggies included) say
and write PARTNERS.

 
At 14 September, 2006 20:26, Blogger murphy2000 said...

Eric -

Lest people forget, their was another case of domestic terrorism in this country and it happened even closer to Texas - in Oklahoma City. I remember being pulled out of a meeting in Washington, DC, to receive a call from my Dallas office, informing me of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building. I am a Federal employee and knew employees at several agencies that were in the Murrah building. I am reminded of the Murrah bombing every day when I go to work and see the words "Federal Building" on the building where I work. Needless to say, on that awful morning of September 11, 2001, I entered my office with trepidation.

Whether it's from our own citizens with warped views or from outsiders who want to harm us, hate is the underlying reason for what happened in OKC and NYC, DC, and Pennsylvania.

 
At 15 September, 2006 01:24, Blogger GUNNY said...

Good point. Boy that seems like ages ago doesn't it? You're so right. That was "one of our own" on that one and a huge tragedy.

Thanks for the reminder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting